Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Responsiveness


Indigenous knowledge and cultural responsiveness

I prefer the term culturally sustaining pedagogy instead of culturally responsive pedagogy. Milne (2017) argues that cultural identity is not just something that needs to be celebrated, which is what I have seen even with my others learning about my culture, rather teachers should embrace student’s cultural identity at every opportunity throughout the curriculum, learning activities, school policies and events. Bishop (2009) discusses the need to address educational disparity and the deficit thinking which is oft applied to Māori students. Agentic teachers (as well as support from school) is needed to create learning contexts so our indigenous and minority students can bring their own values and understanding to the classroom.
Step 1: What?

From my multiple visits to NZ before moving I didn’t experience or really know anything about the indigenous Maori culture. Instead acknowledged some place names and patterns but that was about it. It was when I completed my teacher training that I started to understand the depth and significance of Te Ao Maori. Yet I was not prepared to teach with full understanding of Te Reo Maori, as I had only learnt basic pronunciation and greetings whilst being mindful of my accent. I was aware that I did not want to be tokenistic
Human resources in my school – I can and regularly ask questions regarding language, kaupapa etc. to aid my understanding and to learn myself.
Our personal development lacks as a whole, I felt like I learnt because I went out of my way to seek. But what happens to the teacher who is not aware of what they do not know? Or the teacher who relies on shallow, lip service understanding of Te Ao Maori and does the bare minimum to ‘tick a box’? How can we create the appreciation of culture within our school, making learning purposeful and most importantly meaningful.

Step 2: So what?

We have started PD recently in our local area called CultureCounts which has been addressing the need to negate deficit thinking. It takes the focus away from the student and asks are we doing enough to help our students? This suggests we are working within blue and purple stages of the action continuum. I am happy that it is being addressed and hope our PD, as sporadic as it has been continues.  As a school, we have a promising way forward but at a slower than ideal rate with varying progress among individuals within our school. 


Step 3: Now what?

I believe you shouldn't look at the areas listed in isolation (vision, mission and core values, policies, goals, communication methods, decision-making, planning and assessment, learning activities, school-wide activities, human resources and learning resources) as they are all interlinked. For example, planning and assessment are essential in seeing if there are appropriate learning activities which then needs effective communication to assist those who may need more support by providing human resources (and learning resources too). This would swiftly move our school (and hopefully impact the area too) into moving towards eliminating white spaces completely, and at least start to include indigenous and culturally centred structures and practices.

Co-construction of our curriculum with whānau input is a natural next step to shape our goals which can then filter down into our school, create learning activities that are relevant through the usage of human resources internally and externally leaving behind learning resources for years to come -> culturally sustaining pedagogy.

References:

Bishop, R., Berryman, M., Cavanagh, T. & Teddy, L. (2009).Te Kotahitanga: Addressing educational disparities facing Māori students in New Zealand. Teaching and Teacher Education, 25(5),734–742.

Milne, B.A. (2013). Colouring in the white spaces: Reclaiming cultural identity in whitestream schools. (Doctoral Thesis, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand). Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10289/7868


Comments

  1. Hi Alia, it seems we are the last ones through the hoops. I was reading some blogs about indigenous knowledge and liked how you have pointed out that a better term is culturally sustainable, as suggested by Milne. I also have serious doubts on whether knowing the language or not, has an impact on how a teacher interacts with diverse culture. I am coming from a country where there are more than a dozen official languages and hundreds of dialects and scripts. So, for a teacher to have even a working knowledge of all of them, would be a Herculean task. In my opinion, if you acknowledge and respect the cultural diversity without trying to paint everybody with the same brush, you are in a good position to be accepted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manish, This is an interesting point about language! I am a Korean-New Zealander, and my cultural identity was heavily shaped by my language ability. In Korea, people are viewed "more Korean" when their korean was really good and fluent and "less korean" if th couldn't speak it well. This was despite other cultural heritage that they upholded at home. Because of my fluency in English I struggled to identify with other Koreans. After you spoke of your experience, I'm wondering whether the importance of language differs for different culture. I know that Korea holds the korean language very highly and significant. Furthermore, our language holds a sense of hierarchy (e.g. we have different ways of speaking to adults versus someone younger than yourself), so therefore it would be hard to "upset" this custom.
      Thanks for your comment! it was very thought-provoking.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I love the way you thought all the areas listed are all interdependent. it's such an interesting way to see it. It made me think teaching is such a relational profession and everything needs to stems from having a meaningful, professional relationship with our students and whanau and I believe all the other areas will be positively impacted. Our school is also going through small changes that are baby steps to move along the Milne's action continuum, but I believe the awareness that we need to make a change in our practice is the most important step! I'm very excited for you and your school as you continue on this journey to create a culturally responsive learning experience for your students!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Positively changing my practice

Influence of Law and Ethics in Practice