Reflective Practice
Reflective Practice
I always seek to continually improve and refine myself, which is a big part of my faith for my personal standards. So, naturally I am someone who reflects on my practice daily, I do not always use exact details rather I focus on what I have noticed and my thoughts that accompany it – the main ideas from the day. This is usually an indicator of how the day has gone. I do not record lots of information rather condense into brief notes.
Reference:
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/files/opencetl/file…
Last year, we were asked to choose a quote that we felt best
represented us. I considered what was important and what I try to live by so I picked the following:
I always seek to continually improve and refine myself, which is a big part of my faith for my personal standards. So, naturally I am someone who reflects on my practice daily, I do not always use exact details rather I focus on what I have noticed and my thoughts that accompany it – the main ideas from the day. This is usually an indicator of how the day has gone. I do not record lots of information rather condense into brief notes.
I can take an analysis approach of events which allows me to adapt
programmes in the moment to encourage success in any activity. I am still
building experiences to be able to regularly use reorientation but I believe I
have mastered self evaluation. I need to include relevant details and record
the successful changes to keep track and to avoid regression for
"continual development" as Finlay (2009) mentions. I use
informal conversations to seek advice from colleagues with particular problems
that I struggle with.
We have an efficient T.A.I process in our school, where you can
meet with others for their advice. I prefer changing buddies around so that you
can learn more and interact with others on a specific area. Of course, this
requires everyone to be active in the process which is not always the case. We
keep a written record of our readings, thoughts, progress as well as our
discussions with our buddy. There are scheduled times to met, i.e. Week 4 and 8
of the term to implement and refine whatever you may be working on.
From Finlay's article on reflective practice the Gibbs 6 step reflective
cycle is clear and concise. It would encourage one to stay focussed resulting
in a beneficial written reflection on one's practice and it has clear links to
the T.A.I. model by our Ministry of Education. Another model that caught my eye
belonged to Boud, Keogh and Walker who introduce the idea of negative feeling
associated too. Although Finlay critiques areas of this model, I believe that
for teachers it is important to address and confront negative feelings to enable
teachers to move on to a truer reflection then problem solve.
A written reflective journal is the best way forward with guiding
questions to remind myself what I should include. It would be similar to our T.A.I
process. Although I would feel a bit vulnerable placing an electronic reflection
for others to critique, I can see the benefits for sharing with others. I will
find the middle, a group where it is not completely public but it is open to a
group belonging to the teaching profession, who can critique and advise. After
I can make an informed decision or continue research so that I can find
something appropriate and apply to my practice.
Reference:
Finlay, L. (2009). Reflecting on reflective practice. PBPL. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/opencetl/files/opencetl/file…



Comments
Post a Comment